Did you know that;
1. Children of prisoners are referred to as the forgotten victims of crime and the orphans of justice
2. A child of prisoner in Uganda can take up to 8 years without seeing his /her parent.
3. There over 30,000 people in Uganda’s prisons.
4. 94.5% of the prisoners are Men, most of whom are breadwinners.
5. On average an inmate in Uganda has 5-7 children
6. 6 out of 10 children of prisoners are likely to follow their parents in prison
7. 90% of Children of prisoners are below the age of 18 years ,75% are below 10 years of age
8. The impact of imprisonment on children differs per age, for example 0-3 years have a Low degree of attachment to incarcerated parent and loss of bond and have Separation anxiety.
9. Prisoners are predominantly from poverty stricken communities
10. 2 out of 10 children of prisoners are able to access basic education
11. 70% of Children of prisoners are vulnerable to child labour,HIV/AIDS ,Rape and Defilement
12. 6 out of 10 children of prisoners have one meal a day
13. 35% of children of prisoners are household heads .
Any donation of any size can change the lives of children of prisoners. It costs up to 67500/= (about USD 28 ) per month to provide
education and welfare support a child of a prisoner at Wells of Hope academy.