Francis Ssuubi is the Founder and Director Global Engagement of Wells of Hope, having been the Executive director of Wells of Hope from 2005 to 2014.
Francis has wide experience working with Children of Prisoners and as a speaker, he delivers a stimulating, passionate and insightful presentation on these marginalized and neglected group of children of prisoners.
Francis Ssuubi believes that since issues affecting children of prisoners are transnational, there is a need for stakeholders world over to work together to tackle this issue. Very often, children of prisoners suffer the impact of their parents’ imprisonment; they pay daily for the price of their parents’ prison term. Francis affirms that this is not only an issue that needs a humanitarian response but is largely a human rights issue that requires action by governments world over.
Francis Ssuubi also believes that the death penalty is premeditated murder and does not make sense, because many times it is the children of the people on death row or executed who end being slain at the altar of the death sentence.
He has attended or spoken at the following events among others.
- He attended Coping with a Parent in Prison Conference Brussels, November 4th – 10th 2012, Royal Museum of History and Arts, Brussels
Prior to that he presented at an informal session on the eve of the conference, on Monday 5th November 5:00 – 6.30 pm, The Park Hotel, Brussels. Francis was talking about the work of Wells of Hope.
- In 2013, he was a key note speaker at the USA National Prisoner’s Family Conference which took place in Houston.
- Francis participated in an Informal off-the-record expert workshop on the topic of Children of Parents Sentenced to Death (or Executed) organised by The Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO), Geneva, Switzerland 28 February – Saturday 2 March 2013.
- He was a panel discussant at a side event at the UN Human Rights Council, Geneva on ‘the mental health of children with incarcerated parents. Monday 4th March 2013. As a speaker on the panel his topic was how useful and relevant the COPING findings are for African children of prisoners.
- June 2013, Francis attended the 5th World Congress against the death penalty Madrid Spain which took place in Madrid between 12th -15th June 2013.
- Francis Ssuubi was the main speaker at a Seminar at University of Huddersfield on Wednesday, 19 June 2013 Huddersfield, United Kingdom. He talked about the plight of children of prisoners and intervention strategies. It was attended by social work Students and staff from Huddersfield University.
- On 11th of September 2013 during the 24th session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, Francis was one of the panellists on UN panel discussion on the human rights of children of parents on death row or Executed at Palais des Nations, Geneva. Francis Shared experiences, good practices and challenges from NGO perspectives in providing the protection and assistance that children whose parents who have been sentenced to the death penalty or executed may require, in the enjoyment of their human rights.
STUDY WEEK on children with incarcerated parents.
Since 2012, Francis through Wells of Hope organizes and hosts a well-structured study week on Children of with incarcerated parents in Kampala, Uganda. The most recent is the 7th International Study Week 2019 which took place from 30th April to 5th May 2019. The prospects of the Study Week are to consolidate experience earned by Wells of Hope, share new knowledge and skills and to discuss and jointly develop an Action Agenda for Children whose Parents are in Prison. Six people attended and these included: Dr Bahiyyah Muhammad and Nick Cannon from Howard University, USA. Dr Muhammad was accompanied by her husband, Muntaquim Muhammad and their children, Jian Muhammad and Jaelah Muhammad. Nick was accompanied by Jordan Crafton.
- 20th February 2014, he was a workshop facilitator at the USA National Prisoner’s Family Conference which took place in Dallas/Fort Worth.
- March 10th March 2014 -13th March 2014, Francis Ssuubi had several Speaking Engagements at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, 2014.